Det. Chin Ho Kelly was a former highly decorated HPD cop before being wrongly accused of corruption which resulted in his career and reputation being tarnished.
For a short time, after Governor Pat Jameson's murder and Hawaii Five-0 being disbanded, Chin temporarily joined the Honolulu Police Department but after Steve was cleared, Hawaii Five-0 was reopened and Chin officially rejoined the team.
During high school, Chin was well known for his quarterback skills in football, although Chin admitted that he wasn't the best. He seemed to know Steve, his mentor's son, well. During his cop years, Chin was investigating a cold case around the time he lost his badge. It is unclear what the cold case was about, but $200,000, of the $28,000,000 of the cash and the evidence of the case, disappeared . Chin's uncle Keako's wife, Mele, was very sick and needed a kidney. Desperate to save his wife's life, as the family did not have enough money for Mele to get on the list, Keako stole the money. Chin was willing to take the blame for his uncle's crime. Sgt. Cage did everything he could to try to charge Chin with this crime, as he thought Chin stole the money. Eventually, Chin gave up his badge, and took a job as a security guard. His mentor, John McGarrett, was one of the few besides Kono Kalakaua, that believed that Chin was innocent. Chin left his ex-fiancé, Malia "for protection." In He Kane Hewa'ole (episode), they both had an awkward reunion. Uncle Keako wants Chin to reveal the truth of what happened after Mele passed away. It is unconfirmed of what happened.
Chin is an honest cop, despite the accusations made against him. He is very proud of the work he does, and is still hurt that the cops of HPD do not trust him because of what they thought Chin did. Chin is also shown to have intense loyalty to his family, as it was revealed that Chin took the blame for his uncle's crime and is reluctant to tell the truth about what happened. Chin has never thought of doing something other than being a cop. Chin is very protective of his cousin, Kono, and is usually the one by her side. The one person that Chin looked up to was John McGarrett, and Chin has respect for his son, Steve, who is also the leader of Five-0. Like the rest of Chin's team, shows complete loyalty to Steve. Chin states that he has found a home with Five-0, and it is hinted that he does not want to go back to the HPD.
Skills and Abilities
As an officer of the Hawaii 5-0 task force, Chin is skilled in a variety of areas:
- Observational Skills - Chin possesses great observational skills.
- Motorcyclist - Chin is skilled at riding a motorcycle and actually prefers it over a car.
- Criminal Mind - Given his experience on the field, Chin can think like a criminal and accurately predict their next move.
- Technologically Adept - Chin is exceptionally skilled at using any type of technology and usually has some sort of one on him at all times. His skills even extend to being able to recover data off a damaged phone or SD card.
- Hand to Hand Combat - Though not really shown throughout the series, Chin is quite skilled in hand to hand combat.
- Interrogation/Questioning Suspects - Chin is actually a good inquisitor being able to get the information he wants out of people by using law enforcement or whatever he can improvise with.
- Diplomacy - Chin is quite skilled at talking to people and get the desired effect by just using his words.
Chin Ho is see frequently using shotguns such as the Remington 870. His kelvar vest holds additional shells.His initial sidearm is a Smith & Wesson 5906 in Season 1, switching to a SIG-Sauer P229R in Season 2 and 3. When operating in LA, Chin Ho used a SIG Sauer P229, not his usual P229R.
- NCIS: Los Angeles- Season 3 episode, "Touch of Death".
Before the series began, Chin was accused of corruption, and had been regulating security since then.In the season finale Chin went back to HPD, accepting a job offer for Chief Ahuna and presumably Chin is going to work from within HPD to clear Steve and Kono of their charges (Steve for allegedly murdering Laura Hills and the Governor, and Kono for stealing the money from the asset forefeiture locker in Episode 12). During the season finale Chief Ahuna recruits him as a Lieutenant. Ahuna said that if he didn't have the IA investigation he would probably be at that rank.
In Season Two, Chin proposed to his former fiancee, Dr. Malia Waincroft, and the two were later married in a beach ceremony, in the company of their friends and family.
He and Detective Sergeant Danny Williams (2010) join forces with NCIS Special Agent G. Callen and Special Agent Sam Hanna to stop a smallpox outbreak from happening during Pa Make Loa (episode) with both teams heading to Los Angeles to stop a worldwide pandemic from occurring in the concluding episode, Touch of Death (episode).
In the finale, he was forced to choose between rescuing his wife or cousin.
In the premier, Malia died from her wounds, leaving Chin devastated although he later avenges her death while the team is later seen at her funeral (3.02). In the finale, he called Leilani out for a date.
- Started using a SIG-Sauer P229R from the Season 2 episode, Ma'eme'e (episode).
- Uses a shotgun sometimes while in the field and is seen using a Benelli M1 Super 90 (Short Barrel) from Season 3 onwards.